Tuesday, July 8, 2008

July 8-Goodbye Heath, Hello Oscar


I know, I know. Doesn't this image alone send shivers down your spine?
I remember when I first heard of this Australian heartthrob's untimely death. I was falling asleep in the back of my mom's car on the way home from school, and as soon as I heard, I didn't believe it. One second Heath Ledger is a new father, Academy Award Nominee, and budding star, and the next he's-dead?
But the Academy isn't done with Heath just yet. Or at least, I don't believe they should be.
On July 18, 2008, The Dark Knight will grace screens across the world as the next chapter in the star-studded Batman series. Ledger stars against Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne as the Joker, one of the most notorious comic book villains of them all. But there's something different about Ledger's portrayal. Something a thousand times more creepy than his predecessors...
Is it the makeup? Rendering this handsome hunk virtually unrecognizable under the front of a blind prostitute who can't get her face paint off? Or is it the fact that we are watching a spirit that has left this Earth, no doubt as the aftermath of preparing for this extremely challenging role?
Or is it just the fact that he's damn good?
I believe that we have a lot to expect from Ledger's final role, and I, and I'm sure many others, will be shocked to not find his name in the ballots once again.

No comments: